Saturday, January 23, 2016

Diy Circle Skirt Tutorial

In this post I'm going to teach you how to make your own circle skirt! 



Supplies: 
- 1.5 yards of fabric
- Matching thread 
- sewing machine
- sharp scissors
- 7-9 inch invisible zipper 
- measuring tape 
- chalk or fabric chalk
- calculator
- pins

Because this project does require a little bit of math to calculate some dimensions, you'll need a calculator handy. 

With your measuring tape, measure the circumference of your hips at the place that you want your skirt to rest. 

Plug that number into this equation: 

C= 2(pi)r

The circumference of my waist is 27 inches, so my equation looked like this: 
27=2(pi)r 
I'm trying to find the radius, so what I did was I divided both sides by 2, then divided both sides by pi, and then I got somewhere around 4.2, which is the perfect radius for the waist length when I'm cutting my circle skirt. 

In this picture I plugged in my 4.2" dimension and drew an arc that measured approximately 4.2 inches from the corner 


Then, I decided that I wanted the length of my skirt to be about 15" from waist to bottom of skirt, so I added that to the length of the hip radius and drew a larger arc. I did a 3/4" hem afterward so keep in mind if you want to do a hem or not 


After I got both arcs drawn, I took my scissors and cut along those lines. 

This makes one half of my circle skirt, so I took the other half of my fabric and did that again with the same dimensions. 

Then I took the two halves of my skirt, sewed one side of it together. 

The next step is to add a waistband.

What you'll want to do, is measure out a strip of fabric that is the circumference of your waist wide plus one or two extra inches (just to be safe) by 4.5 inches tall (or double what you want your waistband height to be and then add half an inch for the hem). 
It's really helpful to sew a handy hem on both sides before you attach it to your skirt. 

Sew the hem to the top of your skirt, it helps to iron it flat before you do so, and use a lot of pins to keep it in place. 
After you do this, you'll take the other side of the skirt and install your zipper. Make sure the zipper is put in right at the top of the skirt, don't leave any extra room, it need to sit flush with the top of the skirt. 
Make sure to hem up the whole circle edge at the very end to prevent fraying and you're done! 

Now you have your very own circle skirt!! 
Thanks for reading, 
Morgan 


No comments:

Post a Comment